Friday, April 8, 2011

Trois Pommes Patisserie Internship!

Yesterday I had a trail at a great patisserie in Park Slope, Brooklyn, Trois Pommes Patisserie.  The pastry chef, Emily Isaac, is a graduate of The French Culinary Institute and has worked in the food industry for years in well-known restaurants like Union Square Cafe (which I love), and has been all over publications such as NY Magazine.  I was attracted to this bakery not only for it's experienced pastry chef/owner, but for it's variation of delectable treats.  Not only are there cookies and cakes, but there is ice cream, macarons, TRUFFLES, tarts, and more!  And everything is home-made; I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into and learn about what the bakery had to offer.

I arrived at the bakery around 7:30 a.m.  and got straight to work.  The bakery was super busy that morning; people were constantly coming in for their coffee and a yummy breakfast bread or pastry; the Banana Bread was really popular, it had to be refilled 3 times! 

The first thing I did was get to work on icing some Black & White Cookies. After that I carried out the recipe for Trois Pommes' Key Lime Pie filling.  I love a good citrus punch in my desserts so I was really excited to do this recipe.  After separating over a dozen eggs and combing all the delicious ingredients, the custard was finished and ready to be baked!  I didn't get to taste it but I definitely will eventually.

Next I made the batter for a Flourless Chocolate Cake (it just kept getting better!).  After smelling  the delicious batter as it was being made, I filled individual molds and baked them off.  After that, I went on to the Red Velvet Cake batter for her ever so popular Red Velvet Twinkies with a cream-cheese filling, which of course I took a sample of home with me.  Lastly, I made the batter for Trois Pommes' Banana Bread, and who doesn't love a good banana bread?

I had a blast all day, I felt comfortable in the kitchen right away and Emily was so easy to get along with and so much fun!  The trail went really well and I was asked to start my internship as soon as I wanted.  I was especially happy since this bakery was my first choice. So starting next week I will officially be part of the kitchen as an intern!

For some pics and descriptions of some of Trois Pommes Patisserie's sweets, see my "Favorite Food Stops" page!

No comments:

Post a Comment