Friday, June 10, 2011

DONUTS TO DOUGHNUTS

Which Doughnut Takes the Cake?

Food has always been an important subject in my family; from figs and tomatoes, to the large italian dinners, and all the way through to the delicious pastries, cakes, and candies.  It's always been hard to compare all the great food I had growing up to any other pastries, pasta, or even fruit out there.  I have yet to have any that compare to the sweet perfectly plum figs from my grandfather's garden.

Aside from the usual Italian pastries and cakes that my grandmother would bake for the family, she made us all fall in love with doughnuts.  Every family get together would consist of the usual desserts and two boxes of doughnuts from Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.  The doughnuts ranged from a simple vanilla glaze to an over-the-top cream-filled doughnut.  For the twenty years (give or take) that I've been eating these doughnuts I have always opted from the classic sugar-raised doughnut, and the occasional jelly-filled or marble doughnut here and there.  I love to try everything so naturally I've tried just about every kind of doughnut my grandmother has brought to the dessert table, but nothing compared to the subtle yet sweet taste of the classic sugar doughnut.

Having now a greater taste for food and the desire to venture out to find the next greatest fare, I wanted to compare the new, hip, and modern doughnut shops to that of which I grew up with.  That being said, I did my research and found a couple of doughnut shops from my own knowledge and from that of my friends and mentors.  With two shops in mind I went to work and tested out these doughnuts for myself using a rating system of  one to five stars (going from bad to great).

The competition is going to consist of three more posts.  I'm going to compare three doughnut shops: Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop, Dough, and Bomboloni, and pick a winner!  Keep checking back in for the next posts, these doughnuts are worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment